Thursday, October 13, 2011

Rainbow Layer Cake

I guess I was feeling pretty ambitious for a 1st birthday, but you only get them once right?  This cake was stunning, but really pretty simple.  All you need is 3 white cake mixes, food coloring gel, and time.  Let me emphasize TIME.  This wasn't a quickie the morning of.  Nope, I started this tower a full week before the party.  So plan ahead.


Mix cake mix according to the directions.  Divide in half and add a different color to each.  Bake, cool, cover in plastic wrap and freeze.  Repeat with each cake mix. 


Remove cake from freezer when you are ready to frost.  This part I did the day of.  Stack each layer with frosting between each layer.  I learned during this project that a crumb coat is really important.  Cover the entire cake with a layer of frosting and let it harden.  Then cover with a second layer, decorate as desired.  If you don't cover with a crumb coat, you will have rainbow crumbs all over the outside of the cake.  Trust me, do it.  


I'm not a professional cake maker like my Aunt Darla, but for one of my first, I think I did alright.  Baby loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment