Thursday, October 13, 2011

Cherry Pie Filling


I was lucky enough to know someone with a cherry bush in their backyard and score some of these beauties!  These cherries weren't incredibly sweet, even though my little one ate an entire pie worth of the branches, so I made pie filling.  

Pick cherries leaving stems attached.  This slows the oxidizing process.  Pit and treat for darkening.  I used Ball Fruit-Fresh produce protector.  

Combine cherries, (I had about 6 cups), 2T. lemon juice, 1t. almond extract, 3c. sugar, and 4c, water (I used the water cherries were sitting in) in large pot.  Heat until just bubbly.  Next... I didn't really measure, so keep adding until it suits your taste:) Nutmeg, cinnamon and cornstarch mixed in cool water.  Add until you get your desired consistency.  Heat again until bubbly.  

You can use this in fresh pie, but I chose to can for later.  

Pour hot filling into clean, hot jars.  Remove air bubbles, adjust lids, water bath for 40 minutes (at 4,000 feet).  

No comments:

Post a Comment