Thursday, April 28, 2011

Wood Baby Blocks

 1. Obtain a 2X2 board from your local supply store, wood shop or husbands garbage pile (my fav).  Convince super amazing hubby to cut board into square cubes, unless you are a SUPER WOMAN!! and not afraid of the saw, and cut them yourself. Sand off all rough edges.  I use a palm sander for this step.
 Pain or stain block background color and let completely dry.
 Stick alphabet stickers, shapes, pictures, designs and 1X1 scrapbook paper on the block to cover each side.  My favorite sides of the blocks turned out to be the quotes I cut from border stickers.  Apply 2-3 coats of sealer (I used Mod Podge) over each side and let dry. 
This set of blocks is going to a very special baby & mom to be this weekend but my baby has a set of her own and LOVES to knock down the towers I build her.  I love knowing that someday she'll learn her alphabet and spell things to me.  I also love that this toy doesn't need batteries, and she likes it more than the toys that do!

To complete this project I used:
30 wooden blocks, free-$2.00
paint, $1.99
stickers and paper, $4.00
Mod Podge, $3.99

The only item I had to buy for this project was the paper and stickers.  I had everything else in my stash, and I'm betting most of you do too.  I'm also betting if there is a contractor building in your area, they would let you have some scrap wood, for a plate of homemade cookies they might even cut it for you!  This is a pretty inexpensive project, totally adorable, handmade, personalized and easy.  I'll let you know what everyone thinks about them tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment